Google
 

Monday, January 14, 2008

What a way to burn stress!

So tonight I finally got my butt in gear and went to my first class this semester with Nina. I attend classes at sunset yoga (www.sunsetyoga.com) as well as take a personal class at my yoga guru's home. Oh what a relief! I have been having lower back-ache since since Xmas. Today when I got home from work it had moved from the left side to the right side. I HAD TO DO SOMETHING!

I somehow motivated myself. Cancelled my tabla class and went to the advanced class with Nina. I told her I was having lower back pain. Lo and behold the first pose Nina chose was suptapadangusthasana... http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/483 . Yes its a mouthful, but for all you who have lower back-ache this is a wonderful pose to help you with relaxing your back muscles. If done correctly it forces your hamstrings to work and relieve pressure on your lower back. We did several other poses, that included uttanasana (forwared bend) see http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/478, wall supported uttithatrikonasana (triangle pose), and then transitioning into ardhachandrasana (half moon pose) see http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/784. Between these four poses my back-ache had pretty much disappeared. We did several other more advanced poses involving lotus positions and finally ended with shirsasana (head stand) and sarvangasana (shoulder stand). 90 minutes later I was refreshed energetic and had a sumptous Daal and Rice dinner when I got home. I felt alive. This is what yoga does for me -- at 5 pm i was tired and stressed out, lounged in front of the TV. By 9 pm I was a new man! Thank you Nina!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree! Suptapadangusthasana is great for low back pain. I take it one step further and place my extended leg on a wall or ledge and just lie that way while I read or watch television. Clears up my back problems in no time!

Anonymous said...

Yes, suptapadangusthasana is awesome for relieving back pain. When I'm suffering I take the pose one step further and place my extended leg on the wall or a ledge for support and just lay like that for a while. Works wonders for me!