Google
 

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Eliminating Toxicity from your body and mind - Iyengar Yoga at its best!

The last three yoga session have been eye opening for me to introspect on the subject of Toxicity. Our bodies gain plenty of toxins from environment we live in - the food we eat, the air we breathe and the water we drink. Similarly our minds are polluted by negative and toxic toxic behavior of people. Nature has an amazing way for our mind and body to absorb such toxicity in life and continue to function as humans. But in the long term these toxins burn us out, mentally, physically and emotion.

After two years of practicing yoga, I can say with some confidence that I have been able to eliminate some of this toxicity from my life. This has become more obvious to me recently as I am bombarded with toxicity at a personal level. I find that inversions and back bends have a huge in impact on managing my stress levels. Its amazing how a combination of a Sirsasana, Setu Bandha Saravangasana, Sarvangasana, Halasana and a back supported Savasana can relax you. Abdominal twists such Bharvajasana are analogous to twisting a wet towel and squeezing the water out. With abdominal yoga twists, you work your internal organs and squeeze out the toxins.

A weekly 90 minute Iyengar yoga session covers enough ground of such Asanas to eliminate toxins from your body. Give it a try. Visit bksiyengar.com to find an Iyengar yoga teacher near you. I am so wedded to Iyengar Yoga, that no matter where in the world I am I will find a teacher or Iyengar Studio and take at least one class there. This week I am in Winnipeg Canada. Tomorrow morning I hope to attend a level 3 class at the North Winnipeg Iyengar yoga center.

Namaste

The yogi

No comments: